As of September 2017 we have 501(c)(3) status through the sponsorship of Santa Cruz Hub for Sustainable Living. tax ID #31-1748056
SCCAN Mission Statement 4/15/17
Santa Cruz Climate Action Network (SCCAN) seeks to address the current Climate Change Emergency, recognizing that failure to act quickly will have devastating effects on future generations of humans and other life forms.
- With that in mind our actions include public education and outreach, including monthly public meetings
- coordinating with other interested groups
- maintaining email lists and sending frequent event updates
- teaching Climate Change in public schools
- appearing on local radio and community TV programs
- supporting clean alternatives to single occupancy auto transport
- supporting divestment from Fossil Fuel financing and support
- supporting the banning of fracking and other polluting fossil fuel extraction
- promoting Transport Demand Management (TDM) as a prerequisite to funding new fossil fuel infrastructure
- membership in the City of Santa Cruz “Climate Action Task Force”
- posting events on the Community Calendar http://www.santacruzcommunitycalendar.org/
- We attend many educational/information events and often table. We attend Council, RTC and planning meetings and listen to all sides of each problem. We sometimes write letters of support on related issues.
We join and occasionally organize marches or rallies or workshops focusing on climate and related social justice needs.
We maintain two websites which are updated regularly
main site scruzclimate.org – this one!
Teacher/speaker site scruzclimspeakers.pbworks.com – includes teacher resources, lessons, powerpoints, videos etc.
Additional actions may arise following the principles of “Fossil Free Fast” “Keep it in the Ground” & “Reduce Greenhouse Gas emissions to zero ASAP”
We include 350 Santa Cruz and have strong affiliations with
Citizens Climate Lobby (CCL) Santa Cruz Indivisible Climate Solutions Group (SCI), WILPF (Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom), Bus-by-Choice Campaign for Sensible Transportation, Sanctuary Santa Cruz, System Change not Climate Change, UCSC Sustainability, Sierra Club, Cabrillo Sustainability, Santa Cruz Live Oak Grange, Ecology Action and others
We are all volunteers and operate in a flexible democratic manner with the only title role that of treasurer. We try to make decisions by consensus, resorting to “super majority” when needed. We have no regular income and are mostly funded as needed from member’s pockets with occasional unsolicited larger donations, and regular modest donations at meetings to cover costs.