This is a plan by Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and others to really do something about the climate crisis and social inequity. Details below.
other links https://www.sunrisemovement.org/gnd/
|Resolution on a House Select Committee for a Green New Deal|
What is the House Select Committee on a Green New Deal?
The House Select Committee on a Green New Deal would be charged with “developing a detailed national, industrial, economic mobilization plan for the transition of the United States economy to become carbon neutral and to significantly draw down and capture greenhouse gases from the atmosphere and oceans and to promote economic and environmental justice and equality.”
The Resolution to form this Select Committee was proposed by Representative Ocasio-Cortez on November 13, 2018. The full Resolution is available for review here: http://jdems.us/gnd
What is a Green New Deal?
In short, a Green New Deal is a sweeping overhaul of the economy away from fossil fuel towards 100% clean energy that centers equity in its solutions.
The Resolution outlines the following goals:
(1) 100% of national power generation from renewable sources;
(2) Building a national, energy-efficient, “smart” grid;
(3) Upgrading every residential and industrial building for state-of-the-art energy efficiency, comfort and safety;
(4) Decarbonizing the manufacturing, agricultural and other industries;
(5) Decarbonizing, repairing and improving transportation and other infrastructure;
(6) Funding massive investment in the drawdown and capture of greenhouse gases;
(7) Making “green” technology, industry, expertise, products and services a major export of the United States, with the aim of becoming the undisputed international leader in helping other countries transition to completely carbon neutral economies and bringing about a global Green New Deal.
How will a Green New Deal ensure that resources are justly and equitably distributed?
The Resolution states that a Green New Deal is a “historic opportunity to virtually eliminate poverty in the United States and to make prosperity, wealth and economic security available to everyone participating in the transformation.” The Resolution lays out a number of policies to “mitigate deeply entrenched racial, regional and gender-based inequalities in income and wealth,” including a federal jobs guarantee, universal healthcare, and a universal basic income.
What is significant about a Green New Deal?
According to Vox columnist David Roberts, the Resolution represents “the first time in US history that a Democrat has proposed a plan for addressing climate change that actually scales to the problem and has some chance of influencing the party’s agenda.”
What is the timeline for such a program?
The full scale plan for a Green New Deal would be completed no later than January 1, 2020, with a finalized draft of legislation ready no later than March 1, 2020. Each goal is to be met no later than 10 years after the start of the execution of the Green New Deal.
Who in Congress already supports a Select Committee on A Green New Deal?
As of November 18th, ten Members of Congress are signed on to the Resolution:
Ro Khanna (CA-17), John Lewis (GA-05), Joe Neguse (CO-02), Rashida Tlaib (MI-13), Deb Haaland (NM-01), Carolyn Maloney (NY-12), Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (NY-14), Jose Serrano (NY-15), Earl Blumenauer (OR-03), Ayanna Pressley (MA-07).
How can I sign onto the resolution?
There are two ways to endorse this Resolution.
- Have the Representative publicly tweet their support for “Ocasio2018’s resolution to create a Select Committee on a #GreenNewDeal”.
- See this example from Ro Khanna or this example from Deb Haaland.
- Here’s a sample tweet: I’m proud to support @Ocasio2018, @justicedems, & @sunrisemvmt’s Select Committee on a #GreenNewDeal. I encourage all my colleagues to do the same. More info here: jdems.us/gnd
- Contact Evan Weber, National Political Director of Sunrise, at email@example.com or (808) 224-0644.
Who do I contact for more information?